Even if and even though are not interchangeable and communicate different things. Read the grammar explanation below and then try the practice exercise.
We use even if to introduce a condition. It introduces something that does not affect the main clause.
I go running after work even if I’m tired. (The speakers goes running after work regardless of whether he is tired.)
Even if they offered me 50% more, I wouldn’t accept the offer. (An additional 50% would not make the the speaker reconsider.)
We use even though to introduce something that is true. It is used to communicate that something is surprising or unusual. It is a stronger and more emphatic version of “although.”
I went running after work today even though I’m tired. (This is a fact. The speaker is tired.)
Even though they offered me 50% more, I turned down the offer. (This is a fact. The speaker was offered an additional 50% and turned down the offer.)
Choose even if or even though to complete the sentences.
0 of 10 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 10 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
1. I’ll have this finished by tomorrow _________ it takes all night.CorrectIncorrect
2. _________ I were independently wealthy, I would still want to have a part-time job.CorrectIncorrect
3. I can’t believe the company didn’t issue a recall _________ they knew the product was dangerous.CorrectIncorrect
4. The MBA program is extremely selective. _________ Mark had a high score on his GMATs and excellent references, he didn’t get accepted.CorrectIncorrect
5. _________ Martin has little technical experience, he created a successful mobile application.CorrectIncorrect
6. We wouldn’t do business with that supplier _________ they offered us a 50% discount. The last shipment arrived late and some of the products were damaged.CorrectIncorrect
7. _________ the taxes are high, many tech companies have decided to stay in the Silicon Valley.CorrectIncorrect
8. _________ our market share is still high, our competitors have gained some ground.CorrectIncorrect
9. I’m on call this weekend. I have to be available to answer the phone _________ it rings at 2 AM.CorrectIncorrect
10. _________ smoking in prohibited in the business park, many people still do it.CorrectIncorrect