Below are 20 common English mistakes that advanced students make. Correct the errors in each sentence and then see the answers and explanations below.
For more advanced grammar, see this advanced English grammar test.
For more error correction exercises, see:
Correct the Mistakes
1. She recommended me that I take a few days off from work.
2. I tried to explain him the problem, but he had difficulty understanding me.
3. I don’t know why you didn’t go. If I were you, I should have gone.
4. Kate claims that if she got an MBA after finishing her bachelor’s degree, she might have been considered for the position.
5. Kevin says he stopped to travel internationally because of his family.
6. We regret informing you that your application has been denied.
7. The interview was broadcasted live over the internet.
8. I’m so glad that he spoke in my behalf because I felt awful that I couldn’t make it to the event.
9. At first I studied engineering in college, but I ended getting a marketing degree.
10. It was a frustrating situation because we were uncapable of helping.
11. When the check came, I tried to pay but John told me to put away my wallet and insisted that he paid for dinner.
12. They had managed a few crisises in the past, so they were able to handle this situation fairly well.
13. If you would’ve told me, I would have given you my honest advice.
14. The four participants discussed it between themselves.
15. We thought we were going to expand this year, but we actually have less people now than we did two years ago.
16. She’s trying to concentrate herself on finishing her degree.
17. Unfortunately, the species has gotten extinct due to human activity.
18. I’m a little afraid to do this by my own.
19. He told me that he had never been in that restaurant before.
20. Never before I had seen something quite like that.